Scoober is a Tiger Cub. Once a boy starts out in scouting, they have opportunities to earn patches; selling popcorn, pinewood derby, good turn week, etc. However, they cannot put these patches on their uniform.
The BSA decided to develop an acrylic felt-like vest that you cannot wash, but was heavy enough to sew the patches on. These vests get really dirty because the boys wear them to all their meetings, and if they are like my son, it ends up on the floor of their rooms.
So, a lady in Scoober’s Pack asked if I could get a pattern from her son’s vest and make one. So, I drew up the pattern and then I headed to search for fabric. I found some felt, but didn’t want to go that route again. These vests are bright red, and even though the lady had told me that another mother had used a cotton/poly blend, all that type of fabric was too thin. I finally settled for flannel to make my test vest.
After procrastinating, as my husband would say, I finally have a finished product. I’ve decided that I’m NOT going to charge as much as the BSA charges for their vests, which is $12.49, but charge for materials and my time.
So, you’ll have to let me know what you think! I already know areas of the sewing that I can improve on. For instance when I did the neck, I really should’ve gone a little over the shoulder to get a cleaner look. I also should’ve cut the arm openings in all one piece so there was no overlap. One more thing I should do is make sure the pieces that I cut to do the finished look are a little wider. When I sewed the middle and bottom, I should’ve folded over the edges so there wasn’t a rough edge underneath the vest.
Anyway, this one will be Scoober’s, as I cannot in good conscious sell this to the lady that requested it. I will get more fabric tomorrow for the 2 vests she wants, and I plan to sew 4 more for the boys in our Den as a gift at next month’s Blue/Gold Banquet.
2 Comments so far
Leave a comment